Monday, July 18, 2011

My First Wedding Cake

Saturday July 16/2011 marks the first Wedding Cake that I have made.  Congratulations to Mr. Chis & Lori Brunner!!!  Thank you for having faith in me and making me a part of your special day! 


A few months back I made some cakes for Chris to take to work with him.  There a been other guys & gals bringing goodies in, so I sent him with cake.  His co-workers also become my taste testers.  Chris also showed them some pictures on his phone of cakes that I had been making.  They were impressed!  I was so excited. 
A week or so later Chris came in the door from work and the phone rang. I read the name out load to him because I didn't know the name. I thought wrong number.  Chris told me I should answer it with a big smile on his face. I was thinking what in the world!!!
Well it was not the wrong number and it was Chris B. on the phone asking me to make his wedding cake.  I was speechless and was having a hard time talking! I was in shock alright!
And of course I said Yes.  (I have just entered a whole new ball game)
Someone that I didn't even know, telling me that they had faith in me and they knew that I could do this!  WOW!  Is all I can say to that. 
I hung up the phone and thought, What have I gotten myself into!  hahahahaha.
What if something goes wrong with this cake?
My Chris told me " You can do this. You'll do great!!!"
"Oh , yes I will!!!"
I made them a sample carrot cake with cream cheese icing and my Chris took it to work with him and delivered it.  Thank you!!!  



Here is the journey of making this cake.

The first of the cream cheese icing on the cake.


Second layer of the bottom tier, 16" round cake  for the bottom.  All I could do was laugh at how frigin big it was. LOL, I'm still laughing!  It just fit in the oven.  It cooked great!!!



Layer number three of the bottom tier.  Getting ready to dirty ice the cake.  This means if you have not seen the Cake Boss, you put a thin layer of icing on first to prevent cakes crumbs showing in the icing. Than you generously ice the cake with a second layer.





Second layer of icing done!  It was huge and soooo heavy!!!



I iced beads around the bottom of the cake.  I did smooth the icing a little bit more.  





This is the Second tier. Also three layers of carrot cake.





This is one of many Edible Calla Lilies that I made.  They asked for light lilac and white ones.  I loved the challenge!!! I had loads of fun making them!!!  There are a number of steps to make these and you have to work a few days ahead for drying time.  Its all about  the drying time!!!



These here are the Lilac ones that I made with a like pink in the center.






Here they are all drying for the last time before they hit the cake.





The car is all packed up ready for the drive. Crossing every finger and toe.  So was Zoe, lol!
Both cakes-check, all flowers-check, icing tools-check, extra icing in cooler with ice pack-check.





My little helper waiting for me-check.  I guess she has been telling her father that she wants to decorate cakes like me when she gets older. lol.
The little black dot on cake, the fly,not a good thing!!!  
Got the darn fly out and we where on our way to Paisly. Air conditioning full blast!!!!





We made it!  Everything good to go!!!
My hands were not so willing when I was putting this together. They were shaking like crazy!!!     The Bride Lori and Groom Chris where so nice.  And Beautiful.  They were both very pleased with the cake!!!  Amen, Thank You!!!





Close up of the bunch of Calla Lilies on top of the cake. They looked great!!!
Lol, I had a little boy come over to me and ask  "Can you eat the flowers?"




I'm very proud of myself.  Things went great except for the fly in the car.  But that's life I'm sure it has happened to the famous Decorator's out there too. 


I hope that you enjoyed reading about the journey of my first Wedding Cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment